Boylston Bra - Getting Back in the Saddle

November 7, 2017

So I started the year with great plans to blog more, obviously life happened and if you follow me on instagram you will know that this year hasn't been the easiest for me. There's been some change - I left my first "real" job that I've known for the last four years and started a new adventure.  I've also gone back to uni and just got my first semesters marks back and had to remind myself that D is actually for distinction and means I really didn't fail!

However after a rough start I finally feel back in my groove, its only taken me until November!

I also feel like I've been holding back from blogging for a number of reasons, things like my photos not being good enough, or my makes not being up to scratch, however I've decided just to get on with it.  Not having a live in photographer makes things harder but a photo is better than no photo.  I was listening to an episode of the Love to Sew Podcast - which I highly recommend if you haven't checked out - and I think it sunk in.  Done is better than perfect.

Anyway onto the sewing!

A few months ago I noticed a group on facebook for my town for all things sewing, it's such a fantastic community!  We get together for bi-monthly sewing sessions and coffee dates.  It is so refreshing to get together with friends to talk patterns and stroke fabric.  It's really been a lovely addition to my life.

At our last sewing group I made myself a(nother) Boylston Bra by Orange Lingerie, its really become my TNT bra pattern (Which fits in quite well with the Sewcialists TNT month).  I'm meant to be giving a little bra making class at the next get together.

My previous Boylstons include - my Mermaid Bikini, my vintage floral bra, this little red one named after none other than Joan from Mad Men.

A few years ago Maddy of Miss Maddy Sews made this amazing pink floral Boylston and when I found the same fabric in Lincraft (I've also just realised apparently this fabric was in my stash for two years, oh well!) I knew I had to make on too.  Thankfully it turned out just as well as I hoped.

Floral Boylston

I lined the cups with cut and sew foam, I'd really recommend this is you're making a bra using satin (which overall I don't really recommend!).  The cut and sew foam gives the cups and nice structure and shape.

Floral Boylston

There ended up being some half decent unintentional pattern matching, which I'm pretty pleased with to be honest!  As always I added a little rose to the centre to cover up some not so pretty stitching. 

Floral Boylston

I used adorable rose gold rings and sliders for Sew Squirrel, I dyed the elastics, strapping and powernet pink which I think was the right choice!  If you've never tried dying your own fabric or notions I would highly recommend it, it's so much fun!

I've got matching underwear cut and elastic dyed, so hopefully they'll aldo be finished soon!

Anyway, it's good to be back!  I'm not making any promises about how frequently I'll be blogging but I hope its not 11 months between posts again!