So its obviously been a very long time between posts. It was a totally unexpected but much needed break.
The second half of 2016 turned totally crazy at work, we started work on a new project and its been a steep learning curve getting everything in order
Thankfully its now all relatively on track. Sadly 2017 has not been off to the best start. As you may have seen on Instagram, I discovered termites in my house which has thrown everything into chaos. Thankfully they are halfway through the treatment and things should be able to get back to normal soon.
To top it off nicely, I got home from a few days away to no power. Goodness knows how long it had been off given that my freezer was defrosted. While annoying, its not the end of the world. It was probably more annoying for the Ergon guy who had to climb up the pole to replace the blown fuse in a downpour.
Recapping on my year of giving handmade in 2016, I'm not prepared to call it a success, but not a failure either. It started off pretty well, though as my year got crazier the handmade gifts got fewer!
I've copied my original list below and added the gifts beside them.
- Mum (May) - Ruby Nines Quilt
- Grandmother (February)
- Sister #1 (June)
- Sister #2 (March) - Spoonflower Custom Cushion
- Brother in Law #1 (October)
- Brother in Law #2 (February)
- Nephew #1 (13 March)
- Nephew #2 (11 July)
- Nephew #3 (6 November) - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Bucket Hat (not blogged)
- Nephew #4 (3 February) - Fireman Come What May Quilt
- Friends Wedding Present (May) - Spoonflower Custom Cushion (not blogged as I forgot photos!)
So while not a total fail, it would have been better. The Northern Lights quilt that I listed in the original post is still not completed! Though it got quilted and the binding is half sewn onto it.
In 2017 I'm taking a different approach. I've written myself a list of projects I want to get finished in 2017. Its not a huge list, which I think is what I need this year. It's also very specific, most projects are planned, or started with just a couple of fun projects thrown in.
- Northern Lights Quilt - This was on my list last year, its been quilted and half bound so it should be an easy one to check off
- Reunion Quilt - This one is another long term WIP, but its now quilted and just waiting for the binding to be hand stitched.
- Spell it with Moda - Top finished, just needs quilting and binding
- Vintage Quilt - I think I have all the blocks done, I just need to piece them, then quilt and bind.
- Pineapple Quilt - It's started, but I need to hurry up and finish it, its for a baby quilt
- Baby Quilt - No plan for this one yet, its a gift though so I should start planning.
- Bonus - Dwell Quilt - This has been on my list for a long time, it's a bonus project if I get it done
- Boyston Bra Set - I have a few options for this one. Its been so long since I made a bra, I need a new one
- Vogue 1374 - I'm attending a ball in March and want to make a dress. I've got the fabric and pattern so I just need to sew
- Bonus - Cardigans & Hoodies, again, if I get time, no pressure at all. Maybe something from Patterns for Pirates and a Lane Raglan by Hey June Handmade...
- Fold Over Party Clutch - for the Fold Over Party Clutch Swap (#aussiefoldoverpartyclutchswap on Instagram)
- Fold Over Party Clutch - One for me, probably for the ball to match the me made dress.
- Gym Bag - I need a bag to cart all my stuff to the gym each day, and why not something me made
- Retreat Bags - I need a new toiletries bag and this is a free pattern by Emmaline Bags plus I already bought the frames.
- Bonus - Necessary Clutch Wallet - I made a few vinyl coated NCW's for Christmas buy gave them all away as gifts, now I need to make one for myself.
Anyway, I hope to be back blogging more regularly and can't wait to keep you updated on my progress throughout the year. I am really hoping that this structured list will help keep me creating this year!